Thursday, July 3, 2014

Latitudes.

Headed south to ski before going north to bike.

The Beaverheads.

 photo DSC01036.jpg

 photo DSC01051.jpg

 photo DSC01073-2.jpg

Of course, the ski trip included some biking too, and the bike trip included some snow. (James: "I like my snowboard so much I take it hiking and biking.")

 photo DSC01103.jpg

I took the baby to Ovando.

 photo DSC01143.jpg

Whew -- there's rocks in these creeks too.

 photo DSC01135.jpg

A week later: who knew Butte had such great biking?

 photo DSC01222.jpg

Apparently everyone does now, since it was just highlighted in Bicycle Magazine.

 photo DSC01237.jpg

Kicking it on the Continental Divide Trail, which is not the Great Divide Trail -- except for when it is.

 photo DSC01245.jpg

Butte has completely neglected to advertise the fact that it's home to 4.5 miles of the Old Milwaukee rail road, which is now a trail which features two tunnels and one 110-foot high trestle.

 photo DSC01367-1.jpg

Pigeon Creek, a random free forest service campground.

 photo DSC01284.jpg

After much teeth gnashing and hair pulling I managed to upload 4G of topo maps to my Garmin eTrex 20 and a .gpx track for the Great Divide bike route. This would have been much easier had I simply opted to pay for the maps; $80 gets you three states on a micro SD card which you flip into the machine. For $12 I got my own card and lot of online sympathy from other handheld GPS users who have tried with indeterminate success to install free public domain maps on their units. After securing some additional bandwidth and detailed instructions, I think we're ready to go.

 photo DSC01396.jpg

No comments: